I've been thinking a lot about goals lately. I read a magazine article recently in Oxygen magazine called "Get to Know Yourself". It lists 5 simple steps to accomplish your goal. I have done all five steps and have stuck with my particular goal. It happens to be a fitness goal but it's worked so well that I am excited about writing down more goals from other areas of my life. Let me share what I've learned:
First, set your goal. If you don't know what you want then you won't know once you get there. Create a specific, measurable, attainable realistic, time-based (SMART) goal. Second, ask yourself why. You've got your SMART goal set and you're ready to take it one. Now ask yourself why you want it? Will you be happier? Third, know your strengths and weaknesses. Do you work better in the mornings? Do you get caught up with other things at night? Forth, set up for success. Surround yourself with motivation and always be prepared. For example, with my fitness goal I could get rid of the junk food in the cupboards, have my workout clothes set out the night before or pack my fridge with loads of veggies to reach for when hunger strikes. Fifth, be accountable. Hire a trainer, keep a journal or have your partner or a friend check in with you once in a week to make sure you're still on track.
I believe writing down my goal and reviewing it once a week has made all the difference. It helps remind me that there is a purpose behind the monotony and gives me drive for the week. I also track my progress wich is very gratifying to see on paper. Good luck with your goals!

3 comments:
There is nothing more rewarding than the sense of accomplishment! Good for you for recognizing the need and putting the effort in motion to fulfill your life more fully every day!! Something we all could do more of!
I love it. Thanks for posting...very inspiring.
I'm glad you are having such great success with your goal!
Post a Comment